Rural ICT courses and trainings commenced its implementation during the 8th Malaysia Plan (RMK8) to conduct trainings and courses for the rural community. The programme was implemented at the Medan Infodesa (MID) in collaboration with the Departments/Agencies under the Ministry.
The rural ICT training aims to:
- Provide exposure and knowledge enhancement on information and communication technology (ICT) to the rural community.
- Increase the usage and mastery as well as computer literacy among rural community leaders
- Provide suitable skills to the rural community in producing skilled ICT entrepreneurs and communities as well as to be able to utilise the skills to improve their socio-economic level.
The courses implemented are divided into 2 categories which are Rural Computer Literacy (LKD) and Special Skills Training (LKK). The courses implemented are as follows:
- Rural Computer Literacy Course (LKD)
- Windows 2000/Windows XP or the latest version
- MS Office 2000/Office XP or the latest version (Basic & Advanced)
- Power Point
- Special Skills Training
- Computer maintenance and repair
- Website development
- Video editing
- Multimedia presentation
- Computer network
Among the target groups for the rural ICT course and training implementation include:
- MID village community leaders/JKKK.
- Gerakan Daya Wawasan (GDW) Village Community leaders/JKKK.
- Non-GDW community leaders.
- Village community including the youth who have completed school, adults, women and single mothers as well as the elderly.
- Youths who have completed school, with the ability and highly interested in ICT skill courses.
- MID village, GDW village and non-GDW residents near the relevant district MID.